Christmas time is the best time of the year! As children, we looked forward to Christmas morning and running to wake our parents up so that we could open our presents as fast as we could. Now, don’t lie: even though you are in college now this is still you, isn’t it? Come on, we are all broke college kids here, we’re suckers for free stuff. If you are a freshman in college, you might have noticed that your wish list to Santa is very different from when you were in high school. You basically have your own place now and you are living on your own. So, let me give you some tips on some things you might want to ask Santa for this year.
Also, don’t be afraid to share this to your parents to drop some hints.
- An Alexa/Echo: This is one of my favorite things I have gotten for Christmas that I use all the time at college. Alexa can connect to your Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, etc. Alexa can be programmed to tell you the weather for the day, give you nice sleep sounds, help you with calculations, help answer questions and many other cool features. All you have to do is say her name and then say want you need/want. She is a lifesaver!
- A nice, insulated water bottle! An insulated water bottle is a lifesaver when you have classes all day and are craving some ice cold water. It is so much cheaper in the long run than buying plastic water bottles over and over again.
- A power bank: You might be like, “Kelsey, why do I need that? It’s not like I’ll be in class so long my battery will die.” True, but that’s not always the case. Sometimes you might forget to charge your phone at night, and then you won’t have time to charge your phone till 1pm. You might also be in a seat in your classes that isn’t near any outlets. Trust me, this is something you’ll want to have on you for those emergency situations.
- Coffee Maker: Now, I know Mrs. Karen has some good coffee over at West End, but do not spend all your money over there. You don’t have to ask for an expensive Keurig, there are other cheaper brands that still can use the k-cups. Nothing better than some freshly brewed coffee to wake you up for that 8am.
- A Fire TV Stick: A fire tv stick is a great gift to ask for. It hooks up by HDMI, so you can plug it into your laptop, tv, or projector and watch all of your favorite streaming channels. Worried you’re going to miss all the big games because you don’t have cable anymore? The fire stick has got you covered!
- Apple iPad and Pencil: Whoo, now this is a pricey one but it is so worth it. An iPad has a lot of cool apps that you can download that can help with coursework. I use an app called “GoodNotes” that allows me to keep all of my notes virtually. I can make different notebooks to keep all of my courses separate and easy to access. I use the Apple Pencil to take notes and it’s just like writing with paper, without the hassle of carrying around all those notebooks/binders.
- Electric Kettle: An electrical kettle is so great to have because you can use it for so many things. Need to make some ramen? Use your electric kettle. Need some caffeine? Make some piping hot tea. Want to try that new whipped coffee trend? Use that electric kettle! So on and so on!
- An ice maker: Now, this is something I never thought about when I started college, at least not until several weeks in. Most of your mini fridges are not going to have built in ice makers like your refrigerators at home. Trust me, you’ll want ice more than you realize. If you don’t use that much ice, ask for an ice cube tray (they work great too).
- A steamer: Here at Welch, we obviously have a very different dress code than other colleges. Boys and girls alike have to dress nicely every single day. A steamer will be a lifesaver when you take your favorite blouse out of the closet and it is all wrinkled. It is easy to use and only takes a few minutes to make your clothes wrinkle free.
- A foam mattress topper: Now, this is a real game changer in college. Get ready to turn that boring old twin mattress into a soft fluffy cloud. These mattress toppers really make it a lot easier to sleep in a different bed than your one at home. Be careful though, it might make you want to take more naps next semester.
There are so many different things that you should consider adding to your wish list that will make your college experience even better, and here are just a few! I hope you enjoyed it! Make sure to check out all the other cool blog posts Welch has to offer!
written by Kelsey Horton