Welch College is seeking submissions for its 2014 playwriting contest, according to AnnaGee Harris, drama director. Entries will be judged through a blind judging process. First prize winner will receive $200 and have the possibility of his/her script toured by the Evangel Players.* Entries must be received by December 1, 2014. All entries should follow the enclosed guidelines and be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. No entry fee required.
1. Contest open to members of the National Association of Free Will Baptists, including students, faculty, and staff of Free Will Baptist colleges.
2. Submissions restricted to unpublished plays only.
3. Adaptations accepted if the playwright has complete rights to the work or the work adapted is public domain.
1. Play must be 27-35 minutes in length.
2. Play should be written for seven or fewer actors—gender flexibility a plus (scripts with more than seven characters are permitted if play is written for role doubling).
3. Submissions must have a strong Christian message of discipleship or similar focus reflecting the doctrine and teachings of the Free Will BaptistTreatise.
4. Play should take place in a single setting and be adaptable to the varying stage sizes encountered on a drama tour.
5. Play should have minimal technical requirements.
1. Prepare submissions as a Word document.
2. E-send submissions as a Word attachment to email@example.com.
3. Scripts should be typed, 12-point font, double-spaced, with pages numbered.
4. Submissions should include two cover pages: the first cover page should include the play’s title, playwright’s name, address, and local church name. The second cover page should have only the play’s name.
5. Playwright’s name and personal information should not appear anywhere except the first cover page, due to the blind judging process. Identity of the playwright will be withheld from judges until the winning script is chosen.
6. If a playwright submits more than one script, send each script as a separate attachment, including the two cover pages.
7. Co-authored scripts are allowed if the first cover page contains the specified information for all authors.
Email any questions regarding the contest to AnnaGee Harris, Welch College drama director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Welch College retains the right to produce the winning play royalty-free during the Evangel Players’ tour (This right is for one play season only). The winning playwright will retain full rights to the work, but Welch College reserves the right to make minor changes/adjustments to the chosen script for the purpose of performance. Any changes/adjustments made by Welch College reflect the needs of the tour, not the quality of the script.